Sunday 1 April 2012

BIt of a ponder!!!

I should have updated this a few weeks ago but not a lot was achieved so I didn't bother.

Centre ankle plates drying together.
The middle ankle was built and the main part of the centre foot. I stopped there for a bit while I thought about what wheel set up to have. Obviously 2 is better but what size will fit?  People are using castors and changing wheels to inline skate type as they turn in better due to their profile - makes sense. I may go down this route but perhaps at a later date. After all it wont take long to knock up another foot - will it?

Curve sections taped in place




Centre Foot underway









Starting to look better.
The wheel set up was another reason I hadn't finished the main feet either. Dave's plans call for a single wheel in each foot, but I was thinking about the 2-3-2 situation down the line and relieving the stress on the parts.  Again this was something that could be done at a later date so I started to fix the final parts to these.






Hands up, who sees the splits?


While all this was going on I started on the skirt. Blinking 'eck thos 3mm curved sections are difficult too do. Perhaps I should have followed the plans and done it stage by stage and not in one go. They have all split where they curve round but some styrene/glue paste has sealed them and they seem to have stuck on well.






It was now a case of stick this part of the skirt on to the frame before commencing further action, mainly because it was like Christmas as a child - THE SKINS ARRIVED.
Fantastic!
 I waited for Skye to come home and open the box with me and couldn't help but have a big grin on my face all afternoon. Thanks to Deetoo from the UK R2 Builders Club for arranging this. The next few evenings were spent looking at domes and alternatives aswell as the cutting out of the door sections. In order to have some of the doors open on the body, I'm going to have to take a dremel and cut out the inner skin in order fot them to open. Only 4 on the front section, but it could be a case of just doing one for the charger and perhaps on the next droid having an all bleeping, all shaking one!!!


Mind the gap.
A lightshade from B&Q is very similar size to a proper dome was purchased but its about 6mm smaller in diameter. This is the ponder bit. When it comes to it do I try and hide this difference somehow and use this as a temporary measure or save for a proper dome?  The jury is still out at the moment but with the skins round the frame and dome on top it looks better.



Can you guess what it is yet?
Yep, an oversize trash can.



No comments:

Post a Comment