Monday 14 November 2011

Revamped Shoulders & a bit of leg

A day off from work, and instead of cleaning the windows I opted to spend the time in the garage working on R2. ( The wife hasn't noticed the windows are still dirty - yet!)
I cut out the modified shoulder plates as per Dave Everetts mods, and drilled the holes out to 6mm. I then had the idea of using some plywood and mounting the router underneath to make the slots. (This has been done by others who follow Dave's plans.)
It worked a treat.
The shoulders were then glued in whilst I start glueing the leg braces etc.
New shoulder plates - hopefully right way round!!
 
I clamped all the braces together and filed square. Then with a 12mm drill in the bench drill, made the hole through the middle for the wire tube. I was using a piece of 15mm copper pipe as the tube, and didn't have any bigger drills - Hmmm!
Then in my one brainwave of the week, I remembered I had a step drill (?) this had a size of 15mm. Fantastic. The only problem was I would have to drill the braces individually.
This done the tube pipe was put in and glueing started, ensuring they were all square of course.

A spot of luncheon and a cuppa left me ready to carry on.

The legs shoulder braces were filed to shape - a small square out off a corner, and then more glueing. This was a tricky bit, as trying to keep them square involved masking tape for the first time. It wasn't to stop me singing along to the radio as the neighbours may have wished but to hold the braces square while the glue dried in the lovley damp, cold winter air of the garage!!!
Weights to hold the position
Must clean the floor soon!!!
This will do for the day, and so inside to cook dinner, bath Skye and update the blog. Followed by sorting out my R2 files, what plans need printing, sorting out skins and a dome for my xmas present. Its a busy life at times isn't it?

I reckon another update before the weeks out though!












No comments:

Post a Comment