Thursday 24 November 2011

A Nightmare in the Garage!!!!

I was thinking a shift off work would result in massive moves on the building front. It has and it hasn't so let me tell/bore you with it.

The ankle plans were cut out and started to put together, except for the top cover. this is because I was toying with the idea about putting a tie rod in to keep the foot flat when in 3-leg mode. Whilst doing this I noticed that the groove on the leg was only just above the ankle - this made me look at pictures of R2 and see if this was right. The leg also had a MASSIVE amount of room when in the ankle - surely that can't be right!!!

Oh! Woe is me!

That evening I nervously opened the laptop and file containing the leg plans. View magnified to 100% and a ruler showed about 15ish cm from leg bottom to the groove. A quick "Don't anyone touch the computer or else" was shouted to anyone listening - pointless really as even my daughter (assistant) ignores me - and out to the garage to check my measurement. "Nooooo!" I had 12cm, somehow I had cut out 2 legs at approx 75% size. A bit of a sulk that night and the next day back out cutting the styrene at 100%. The difference is unbeliveable.
Little & large

Before I carry on with the leg, it was time to build a shoulder, so improvised circle cutter to the ready and away I went. This was so easy and in no time at all the right hand shoulder was finished.

Dry by morning.

A foot was then started, mainly to get the ankle onto while I worked out the tie rod for it. This was bolted to the ankle to help alignment etc. and then a bit off research over a bowl of soup at lunchtime. This revealed that no-one on their blogs has mentioned a tie rod, so just to get the build going I opted not to work it out and thus rebuilding the leg started again.



That looks better!



Deja Vue?

Its just a matter of finishing this leg and foot and repeating the whole process for the left leg but at least he will be a better size.

We have even thought of a name for our build, not too sure if its a droids name but ST-80. ST from Skye's initials and 80 from mine (AT). I have told Skye that have to personalise it if we use this name to make it different from R2.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, re: tie rodes, have you checked out http://astromech.net/forum for other styrene builds. I think I remember seeing similar post on this. Good to see your back on track with the leg :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, here's the link I was talking about:

    http://astromech.net/forums/showthread.php?p=98309#post98309

    And if the link doesn't work, search for 'Valisk's styrene R2-D2 build'

    ReplyDelete